Listed below are links that you may find helpful in your family history research in Breconshire or further afield.
WW1 Links: To mark the centenary of the outbreak of the Great War of 1914-18, we have added a new page of links to useful WW1 websites.
Our lists are regularly amended and updated.
Disclaimer: The inclusion of a website on the list of links below does not imply an endorsement of the website by the BLFHS.
Region specific links
- Brecknock Society and Museum Friends website. The society's annual journal, Brycheiniog, is a valuable resource for family historians
- Christ College Brecon census transcripts. Transcriptions of census entries for Christ College from 1871 to 1911 stored on John Ball's website
- Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust website: CPAT protects, records and interprets all aspects of the historic landscape
- Family Search: a Guide to British batches (Breconshire). A valuable list, created by Archer Software, for use with the LDS's Family Search website.
- Glasbury (BRE) Parish Registers 1660-1836 on the American Libraries website: the full text of Thomas Wood's 1904 transcriptions
- Llanspyddid Parish Church webpages: including churchyard gravestone inscriptions
- Mynydd Epynt webpage: on the Abandoned Communities website
- Penderyn Community Historical Society: new website
- Powys Family History Society: new website
- Powys County Archives Office
- Powys Archives Facebook page
- Powys Archives Newsletter
- Powys Digital History Project website (local history of communities in Powys from archive documents, photographs, and early maps)
- Powys Genealogy Mailing List webpage, hosted by RootsWeb.com
- Powys Library and Archives
- Powys Library Service Catalogue
- Registration Districts in Breconshire on the GENUKI website
- Talgarth & District Historical Society
General and All Wales links
- Archive Network Wales website (searchable catalogue of historical records)
- BMD Certificate Ordering Service on the General Register Office (GRO) website
- British Association for Local History website, which includes abstracts of articles published in the BALH journal, The Local Historian. Our society is a member of the BALH.
- The British Newspaper Archive website - a valuable subscription only service, but with poor coverage of Breconshire
- Capel website of the Chapels Heritage Society
- Coflein: an index to archaeological sites, monuments, and buildings in Wales, and material held in the National Monuments Record of Wales (NMRW) archive collections
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission: search the Debt of Honour Register
- Cynefin: a project to digitise and make available Tithe maps of Wales
- Family Search website of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormons)
- Family Tree Creator a free to use facility on the Ancestry.co.uk website
- FreeBMD website (searchable GRO BMD indexes)
- GENUKI website
- Historic Wales website: described as "a one-stop map portal to site-based data collected by various organisations".
- History at Home: A Guide to Genealogy on the HomeAdviser.com website: useful guidance, but with a strong US bias.
- IGI (International Genealogical Index) on the Family Search website
- Images of Wales website: John Ball's Webpage Archive and Welsh Churches & Chapels Collection.
- National Library of Scotland mapping website: provides free access to 19th century large scale Ordnance Survey maps of Wales and the rest of the UK.
- National Library of Wales website
- Old Maps website (19th century large scale Ordnance Survey maps)
- People's Collection Wales website (images of a wide range of material from Welsh museums, archives and libraries)
- Reflective Images website (supplier of black and white photographs of Welsh scenes from 1891 onwards)
- Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales website.
- Ultimate Genealogy Guide on the Household Quotes website: useful guidance, despite its strong US bias.
- Wales-New Zealand Family History Society (WANZ) website.
- Welsh Family History Archive website
- Welsh Journals Online on the National Library of Wales website
- Welsh Newspapers Online on the National Library of Wales website